Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Primary Color Birthday Party


Again, I know...food blog, not a food post. But I had so much fun planning Josh's first birthday I just had to share some of the things I did to make it so amazing!

Seeing as this is a food blog, let's start there :) I made a tri-layer sandwich stand from three $1 trays from the dollar store and a $1 pack of two champagne glasses that my husband cut the stems off of. I painted it with spray paint and hot glued it together. We served almond-butter and blackberry simply fruit sandwiches, peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches and ham and swiss roll-ups. We also served layered watermelon, pineapples, and black grapes and celery sticks, carrot sticks and grape tomatoes with ranch dressing. We had water bottles and lemonade to drink. I also made cake pops (chocolate homemade cake with buttercream frosting) dipped in primary colored candy melts. The cake pop stand was 3 2x4's that my husband drilled holes into. The cake was a 3 layered primary colored cake with whipped cream cheese frosting. Josh's cake was actually a sugar free cookie recipe with whole wheat flour, oatmeal, raisins and applesauce with the same whipped cream cheese frosting!


 For games and activities we had knock em down (I emptied tomato sauce cans, cleaned them out, glued the tops back on and spray painted them, then added a piece of ribbon around the top and bottom for something extra), Ball Toss ($1 bins and $1 balls from the dollar store) and bowling (1.5 liter soda bottles emptied and spray painted them and added cardstock for something extra). The balls were all from the dollar store. We also had a photo booth set up. I printed out and traced some printables online (simply do a search for photo booth props) and cut them out in primary colored cardstock. Then I glued them onto dowels. The background was made from 3 1/2 tablecloths that I cut into third and stapled around a piece of quarter round we had in the garage. It could be raised for adult pictures and lowered for kid's pictures.
We had planned on having the party outside but it decided to rain the day of so we moved our couch into the garage and set everything up inside instead. I also made 3 banners (Cakes & Gifts, Food & Drinks and Happy 1st Birthday) out of cardstock and ribbon.

All together it was an amazing time and I hope some of my ideas help you plan an incredible party of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment